Venue: St. Mary’s Stadium, England.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp believes there is no psychological advantage to be gained from being Premier League leaders in November.
The Reds overtook Manchester City the weekend before the international break with a 6-1 demolition of Watford.
Many felt it was a statement of intent for the club to reach top spot for the first time since May 2014, when they were pipped to a long-awaited title by City.
Klopp, however, takes a much more long-term view of recent events.
“I am pretty sure early in the season the other teams knew already we were not the worst team in the Premier League,” he said.
“I shouldn’t sound too confident but I have no idea what they (opponents) think and I don’t care.
- van Dijk
- Southampton ended a four-game winless run in the Premier League against Liverpool with a 3-2 victory over the Reds in March (D1, L3).
- However, Liverpool did defeat the Saints 6-1 at St Mary’s last season in the League Cup.
- Southampton have won just one of their last five league games (D2, L2).
- However, their defeat by Chelsea in their last match at St Mary’s was their first loss in 10 home league games (W6, D3).
- Only Liverpool and Manchester United (both 16) have won more top-flight matches than Southampton (15) in 2016.
- They have dropped a league-high eight points from leading positions this season.
- Charlie Austin has scored eight goals in all competitions this season – no English Premier League player has scored more (Theo Walcott also has eight).
- Liverpool are unbeaten in nine league matches, winning seven and drawing two – a run which has taken them top of the Premier League for the first time since May 2014.
- This is Liverpool’s best start to a season since 2008-09, when they also had 26 points after 11 games. The only time they’ve had a better start to a Premier League campaign was in 2002-03, when they had 27 points at this stage.
- No side has recovered more points from losing positions this season than Liverpool, with six.
- Philippe Coutinho has scored in three of his previous four league visits to St Mary’s Stadium.